Monday, December 27, 2010

The Good Patient

James sliced his knee open taking out the garbage. Jaelyn broke a plate the other day and we threw it away. Without thinking about it, I asked James if he would take out the garbage and as he did, the plate sliced through the plastic of the bag and through the skin below his right knee. He screamed for me and it was a different sort of cry that I did not really recognize. Soon after (less than five minutes), he told me he was fake crying… that really made me worry that he was no longer in pain. I rushed the four of us out the door (Josh was at work), dropped the two little ones off at a friend’s and took James to the nearest Urgent Care. He was so braved. I was very impressed. You could tell he did not want to cry in front of the Dr., the moment he left after numbing the area he let it all out. While we waited for the topical to set in, we talked about what he would tell people. We came up with a very cool skateboarding accident story we could brag about. It was numb before they began stitching and he watched the whole thing without a single tear. Daddy was there just in time with “Buzzy” his bumble bee pillow pet to begin the stitching. Four stitches later we were back at home. I am so proud of him for being so brave!


No comments:

Post a Comment