Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Dreadful Dentist Part 2

Jacob was another story today than James and from his typical self. I think I spent so much time worrying about James and prepping James for the dentist, I forgot to prepare Jacob. He is such a laid back easy go-with-the-flow child, I didn’t think he would be nervous for this because he had done it before and done great, but he was. He did good with his X-rays. In fact, they could not compliment him enough on how well his pictures turned out. Unfortunately he didn’t care much about the pictures. He did not like having his x-rays one bit. So much in fact, he refused to trust them to do anything else the rest of the visit.

He would not open his mouth for anything to get them cleaned. Finally they had to take a “kickstand” and pry his mouth open and leave it there so they could clean. My heart melted as they cleaned my baby boy’s teeth and he laid there crying with his hands being restrained by Josh’s and his mouth pried open with a tool.

I was with James at the time and talked to him about what they had to do to open Jacob’s mouth since he wouldn’t do it for him.

It was the moment they started to talking to Jacob about his baby sister, the worry left his mind. He relaxed and they removed the tool and Jacob held his mouth open on his own. He loves Jaelyn so much he couldn’t bear be in a bad mood when it was time to talk about her. So cute!


After the cleaning he laid patiently and opened and closed his mouth for the dentist as he asked him to. The funny part of it was he did the best with the dentist. What I thought was the least traumatizing, however when I talked to him about his appointment he said, “I didn’t like the guy who counted my teeth.” I smiled and did not want to remind him of his experience he had with the cleaning.

What is great about Jacob, is he bounces back so well from things. He is as I always say, my accident prone child, yet he will be the first one back on the horse. I am so proud of him for how he handles challenges and change in his life and hope he always remains that strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment